Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Ronkonkoma Express

The Chelsea Hotel
Took the train to Penn Station today where we visited Madison Square Garden, Manhattan Mall (Gimbels), Macy's (an entire level - just purses), and the 86th floor of the Empire State building. Then we walked south into Chelsea proper to see where Sid Vicious killed Nancy Spungen, not to mention the numerous books, plays, films, music and lives that have been made there. What a history this place has. It is currently in its second year of remodel.

Much of Chelsea is quaintly old-world. We enjoyed the tree-lined walks, but decided to save the High Line Park for a later visit, returning to Penn Station. It was rush hour so there was a travel up-charge. I purchased our "peak" one-ways back to Farmingdale Station. That particular line is named Ronkonkoma after the city at its terminus. I got the right tickets, the right line and the right track and was feeling a smug confidence as we boarded. "This is the train to Ronkonkoma?" I asked two young passengers near the door. "Yes it is," they responded. After we sat down, the train began to move, I heard the loudspeaker announce the first stop: "Wyandanch."


Farmingdale Station
Wyandanch? What is that? What happened to Jamaica, Hicksville, Bethpage? Farmingdale? A businessman standing nearby explained that this was an express train. I checked Google, and sure enough, the regular one was right behind us, leaving from a different tack. Our train went to Farmingdale, it just didn't stop in Farmingdale. Fifty minutes later, Stefanie and I gazed out the window at our apartment as the the train rocketed past.

I hired a taxi at the Wyandanch stop to drive us five miles back to our home where Sister Owens explained that we might not be venturing out to the big city anytime soon. I pointed out that I had gotten us to the apartment in record time and that I could not be held responsible if she had failed to make a timely exit.

The Ronkonkoma Express and the Doppler effect

No comments:

Post a Comment