Thursday, November 7, 2013

eye single


I don't know how anyone got around here before global positioning. There seems to be only one response to any question that begins, "How do I get to . . . . ?
Response: Do you have GPS?
Everyone uses it. Constantly.
We do have GPS. I have used it for years when I hike or when traveling to another state.
On long Island you use it to go to the corner supermarket. Spoiled by decades navigating western traffic grids, we were frequently lost at first. If I missed a turn, I would take the next one, assuming that the streets would eventually hook up. They don't.
You may end up in a different county, or the Bronx. The geometry is simple. No road is parallel to any other road. Locals insist that avenues on the island evolved from cow trails. That explanation fits. I get lost on neighborhood walks. A compounding difficulty is that U-turns are illegal almost everywhere. Right turns at red lights are also discouraged.

Humbled, we now depend on GPS and only get lost occasionally. We often enjoy the detours. There is so much foliage, Its like driving through a park. The destination might be mere steps away. You'll never see it. But hey, what's that interesting thing coming up around the bend? Teaching for CES you begin to see gospel illustrations everywhere. So we sometimes incorporate these frolics into our lessons. One quick photo and its in the PowerPoint:
____________________
Halloween decorations?  

The Lamanite curse 















____________________
A sweet diversion?  


Chris and Stefanie's "Plan of Happiness"



















____________________
Charles Addams Retrospective in Southampton?  

Evil Incarnate 

























____________________
 I don't remember what this one was about . . . 






























No comments:

Post a Comment