Saturday, July 27, 2013

Drunken grandma

Frankie's DG
Early in our stay on the island Stefanie became fond of a particular pizza type: the drunken grandma. She had her first piece when we met Elder and Sister Hawkes at Frankies on Main.

The name should have caused some concern, but we had a lot of other things on our pizza pie plates at the time. I have since learned that vodka is a prime ingredient in the marinara sauce. Hence the name. I'm not sure how to approach this. I remember Stef's attraction for B&R Daiquiri Ice, not to mention the Rum Nougat at See's. Maybe later. No designated driver required just yet. The grandma is incredible. Then there's this place I heard about up in Great Neck. Maybe next week . . .

"Here, we have the winner: Pizza alla Vodka ($3.75), made up of a thin layer of creamy, tomato-based sauce topped with equally thin slivers of fresh mozzarella. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else needed. While I wouldn't say no to some fresh basil or the addition of some good prosciutto, as it stands Gino's Pizza alla Vodka is really, really tasty. It's so good, in fact, that I had to bring a second one home; it barely survived the car ride. Needless to say, I look forward to slaughtering future generations of Gino's pink-sauced slices." Josh Wigler's pizza blog, Gino's Of Great Neck: Drunk on alla Vodka.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment